OUR IMPACT ON…
- Every sofa bought from the Consortium diverts approximately 40kg from going to landfill and saves around 88kg of CO2e.
- Reusing furniture saves 6 times more CO2e than simply recycling.
- If every local authority in Scotland bought 100 reuse sofas that would be the equivalent of taking 250 cars off the road for a whole year!
- This is the impact we make on creating a greener world and a more circular economy in Scotland.
Place – Our Communities
- Every washing machine bought from the Consortium provides over £100 of vital income for a local social enterprise.
- £100 pays for around 4 hours of training, leading to meaningful employment in our poorest communities.
- If every local authority in Scotland bought 100 reuse washing machines, that would pay for 10 full time jobs in our communities per year.
- This is the impact we make on building wealth in communities and creating a fairer Scotland.
People – Individual Lives
I started volunteering with the project 6 months ago as I was out of work and spent most days indoors doing nothing, I was feeling low and worthless and I needed something to get out of the slump I was in. When the CRNS project started I was involved with the delivery of furniture and white goods. Volunteering gave me motivation and a little self-worth. A paid position became available cleaning and refurbishing white goods and I was offered the job. It was a great opportunity not having worked for a long time, it gave me a boost to my self-confidence and allowed me to feel worthwhile….
- In 2021-2022 the Reuse Consortium provided 7 Local Authorities and 2 Housing Associations with 5,697 items of reuse furniture which supported 2,665 households.
- Reuse items are around 20 – 60% cheaper than buying new.
- If every local authority in Scotland bought reuse instead of new items, we could help twice as many people in need.
- Consortium members provide jobs and training for local people and help make a positive difference in their lives.